Sunday, April 23, 2017

The Collision of Science, Creativity, and Compassion

During my 4 months of OT school, I have learned so much about what it occupational therapy is, what is isn't, and what it means to be a practitioner in the field. Our professors have said so many incredible and enlightening things about what occupational therapy means to them and how they choose to describe what it is that we as OTs are attempting to achieve as service providers. To be honest, I have days where I wonder if I fully understood what OT really was before I began this program. Out of all the wonderful statements that have been made about our profession thus far, there is one quote in particular that has stuck out to me when I think about describing what occupational therapy is to someone that might not know otherwise. The quote spoken by Jessica Kensky reads, "occupational therapy is where science, creativity, and compassion collide." I think that this is a wonderful summary of some of the main pillars that make up our profession. Occupational therapy is in a unique position to achieve incredible results in our world because there are few other health professions out there that aim to involve each of these concepts. If done correctly, I truly feel that occupational therapy practitioners have the opportunity to change the lives of our clients and the world around us in a way that was never expected.

3 comments:

FW1C Debriefing