Monday, April 24, 2017

SCI Case Study on John Stoker

From hearing about John Stoker's experience with his spinal cord injury, there were two main points that really stuck out to me. The first deals with his OT intervention. John received occupational therapy for bowel and bladder work, which helped him to learn how this feels when paralyzed. I found this to be rather interesting because I hadn't before thought about OTs helping with this aspect of spinal cord injuries. Previously, I had only known of an OTs role in teaching clients how to live with a catheter or a colostomy bag. The other aspect of his story that stuck out to me was how he obtained his injury. John's sustained his injury as the result of a surgical mistake, which is not something that is often brought up. Though it is almost unimaginable to put oneself in his position, John seems as though he handled his new and unanticipated injury with incredible grace and positivity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FW1C Debriefing